SRIM or Structural Reaction Injection Moulding
KCR Marine can now offer through low volume RIM (Reaction injection moulding) and prototype polyurethane materials using our 2KM and Dalling Automation dispensing machines the supply of components to industry.
Typical applications are full size bumper / fender armatures, aerodynamic performance mouldings (body kits) and many other general low to medium volume applications using silicon tooling, low cost composite tooling or aluminium tooling.
- SRIM process is based on a two part polyurethane system (polyalcohol and isocyanate) inside a closed mould which is reinforced with various types of glass fibre.
- Commonly used in Automotive interiors such as headliners, centre consoles and dashboard armatures this process can also be used in Rail, Leisure, Medical and many other industries.
- Typical SRIM applications feature encapsulated threaded inserts or steelwork and varying wall section thicknesses for added rigidity. Finish can include leather cloth, material with foam substrate or painting. All these finishes can be single shot moulded.
- Polyurethane Foam mouldings are available for a wide variety of applications including cores for strengthening purposes or buoyancy aids. From resin or aluminium tooling we can mould foams using either a hinged cradle arrangement or press mounted tools.
- In many applications KCR developed both aluminium and resin water heated tooling for the SRIM and PU foam process along with the supply of components.